Friday, October 21, 2011

San Lorenzo




Just look at all that blue!

Just 1 1/2 hours from the black rocky shores where I live near Catania are these white sandy beaches and dazzling turquoise waters. One of the true highlights of August were the days we spent visiting a friend at this delightful place known as San Lorenzo. For anyone familiar with the Vendicari nature reserve, the waters and beaches are very familiar to that idyllic spot, only here the nature is not protected and so you have vacation rentals and beach lidos galore. However, the convenience of all that is not such a bad thing, especially with children, and you still have the natural beauty of perfect sand and water to enjoy.

Our days here at San Lorenzo were really blissful. The view from the little rental house, right on the beach, was exactly what you see pictured. The long stretch of sand was interrupted near the house with some rocky coves. Each morning we would seek out our little cove, put up an umbrella and splash, swim, climb, jump and all those lovely things that warm blue water makes you want to do. To the right and left, long sandy shores were crammed full of people and lounge chairs and umbrellas, but for some reason these small rocky patches were enough to deter 99% of the beach goers to our great delight.

San Lorenzo may just be the perfect beach. There are so many I haven't seen along this island's coast so I am sure my proclamation can be contested, but there is no doubt that this one is a true summer paradise.

It is a bit hard to see in the photo above, but I was amazed by the floating bicycles that rode past us one afternoon. The bikes are somehow attached to the yellow rafts that are powered by pedaling -- 
a whole new way to interact with the water that might be fun to try.

4 comments:

  1. I've been to Vendicari but not San Lorenzo. Now I have put it on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so lovely and tranquil. I can see why you would want to spend time there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A perfect piece of paradise. My dream is to spend an entire summer in a place like this. For now, at least, other commitments keep me from doing just that. I do hold tight to that dream, though.
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  4. today I got to your blog while checking something about Catania...then scrolled to see the shots & post about San Lorenzo. This past summer we stayed in a house on an agriturismo close by and would love to get a referral for that house you stayed in on the beach.....please

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!