Monday, February 28, 2011

Coming soon to Catania...


When I picked up this flier from the mail the other day I was so excited it was pathetic. But I just can't help myself. I felt the same way when H&M opened last year. These international chains are like comfort food to the native born consumer that I am. You enter in one and you could be anywhere in the world. Focusing on whatever bargin there is to be hunted for, it is easy to forget that your home is now a Mediterranean island. And while IKEA is full of many things I have no use for, it is also full of lots of potentially useful things that I can't seem to easily find here. Like bright, colorful fabrics. All those containers for organizing whatever piles of papers and other junk that accumulate in makeshift spots all over the house. I don't think I'll be the very first in line at the new IKEA's grand opening on March 9th, but I bet I won't be able to hold out for very long. Pathetic!

9 comments:

  1. When I first moved there I was excited to know there was an IKEA in Florence. Then I began noticing the same glasses, utensils, towels, pillows, chairs, everything in every apartment I rented or visited...all IKEA. According to my Italian teacher, this is the best place to buy appliances ... and they deliver!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry - rude of me not to introduce myself. Hello, I'm Valerie, an Italian-American, Italofile, wine student, yoga teacher, and self-proclaimed "woman living her life the way society hadn't intended." I live in Italy a few months out of the year while I'm working on my citizenship paperwork. I've spent a total of 1 week in Sicily and can't wait to visit more of it and look forward to reading/seeing/drinking more from the beautiful islands in the med. Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No way - in Sicily? I love the brochure, though I can't imagine an IKEA on that little island.

    Don't forget to buy yourself a milk frother! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so hard to find decent household stuff at an affordable price in Sicily. Nonetheless, I'm sad that globalization and big box stores have discovered the island.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Valerie, nice to meet you! Sounds like you have a very interesting life! And I know what you mean about IKEA, they make it so easy (cheap, delivery, stylish), but gives you the feeling the whole world will look the same!

    Yes, Janis, IKEA has found its way to the island....you'd be surprised at how popular shopping malls are here! And thanks for the milk frother tip, a must have indeed!!!

    Jann, you are so right and I completely agree (but can't I still be excited to finally be able to find the perfect CD organizer for my bookshelf? please say yes!). I would much rather fill my house with thrift shop and flea market finds but even those are hard to find here! Most of the antiques I come across here are so expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so totally understand you! Not romantic, but yes, I was so excited when IKEA came to Bari, too! I was so happy to have the possibility of affordable choice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know it was openiong as soon as that - thanks for the info. See you there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow IKEA goes to Sicily .. :-) amazing .. I have not been to IkEa for a long time .. but I do still remember the first time I lived nearer to one .. was soooooo excited ... Yeah I bet Welshcakes sees you there !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! Anne, I guess it is an international phenomenon! Wouldn't it be great to see Welshcakes there!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!