Monday, January 31, 2011

my rome




Just back from a long weekend in Rome for a little bit of work but mostly just hanging out in a city we used to call home. For me Rome is among the cities I have lived in that still feel like home and for hubby, who lived there for nearly 20 years, even more so as evident by the city map imprinted on his brain (better than a GPS navigator, really!). Once work was over it was great to just walk around the city streets, take advantage of all that this metropolitan, multicultural version of Italy has to offer. We ate Korean, Japanese, British and thin Roman pizza. We entertained the boy at Rome's fantastic children's museum. We saw numerous friends. We relaxed and slept at Nonna's house. We walked through the center of Rome and gawked at the culinary, historic and artistic surprises that can be discovered at just about every turn of the head. And of course we walked through our own old neighborhood, San Giovanni, a few pictures of which I wanted to share on this post. From top to bottom: a section of the fragmented Roman acqueduct which runs through our neighborhood and the Egyptian obelisk just visible in the background; some ladies practicing for the Chinese new year's celebration; my boys walking through Piazza Vittorio.

4 comments:

  1. So glad you guys had fun (but so jealous that you got to eat Korean and Japanese)!I was thinking about heading into the city on Friday morning...St.Agata is pulling me back. Let me know if you will be around. Nic's package arrived and I would love to give it to you before your next trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rome is a great city! but, hey, I never knew there was a children's museum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was fortunate enough to live in Rome for a couple of years which I believe to be one of the most romantic cities. What's Roma spelled backwards: Amor! I definitely was surprised at my navigation skills. I used to say that half of my time spent in Rome was on a bus or waiting for a bus! But boy did it teach me a lot about Rome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos. I wish I could spend some time in Rome.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!